So I decided to spice up my Gentoo work station a little. I was having a little too much crud lying
around like ldap and mysql support anyways. To get a more complete control over what was installed,
I started moving away from using a list of use flags in
make.conf by doing a
emerge -evp --columns world >> tmpfile
with that format it was easy to use an openoffice spreadsheet and insert from file with fixed width
delimiters cut and then go through the file with emacs and do some search and replace to end up with
the exact format that
Then, with the help of profuse and simple stuff like
sed -i 's/ ldap/ -ldap/g' tmpfile
I soon had the use flag settings I wanted. A nice side effect was that I also discovered the truetype flag which
endowed me with pwettier apps on my desktop.
While at it, I did a check for cflags and I noticed that since my gcc was now at a sufficient high
level to be able to interpret the
-march=core2, I put that in. Also found that my
msse4.1 would be possible for my system. Good source of info this.
Having done all that which took me quite a bit of time (there's probably a much more efficient way I
reckon =/ ). It was time for the good old rebuild all-script (I had also a new linux-headers to
PKGLIST="linux-headers glibc binutils-config binutils gcc-config gcc glibc binutils gcc system world"
for i in $PKGLIST do emerge -q $i done
It's probably just my imagination but everything seems prettier and snappier =).